Who knows how long I've loved you, you know I love you still...

Friday, October 8, 2010



Five years ago today I said yes to a journey that I knew would be a long one. I said yes to an adventure that I was so ready and willing to take. I said yes to growing up and growing old with the one person that I could not imagine spending a day of my life without. I said yes to becoming Mrs. George.

The chapters that have unfolded in our book have brought two more dogs, buying a house, new jobs, new friends, old friends, and a baby. They have brought their share of troubles as well but none that we haven't been able to make it through. My dad once told me a quote he had heard from a man that had been married for 50 years. They asked him how they had made it work and he answered, "We never fell out of love with each other at the same time." This my friends, is genius. I have always kept this in the back of my mind. You will fall out of love with each other, it is inevitable. You can't live with someone for fifty minutes, let alone fifty years without becoming disenchanted with them at some point. It's the fact that at least one of you is willing to fight for till death do us part that keeps both of you going. If I can see that Steve hasn't given up then I can keep on going too. We have both changed and have been through a lot in the last five years and I know there is a lot more to come. Marriage is not any easy trip, nor will you be able to coast your way through, but like anything else in life that is worth working for, it is rewarding and worth it.

Five years ago today started the marriage, which is most important, but it was also the wedding! I wouldn't be me without recounting at least a little of our big day. It was wonderful, and knowing what I know now about weddings there might be some details I would change but not many. I had the time of my life. It made all the stress of planning completely worth it to have all your friends and family gathered in one place and to be able to just celebrate! Steve and I dated for four and a half years before getting married so I was very ready for this day to be here.


The walk back down the aisle is still one of my favorite parts of every wedding days I am a part of and ours was no different. It is one the happiest walks you will ever take. The weight you have been carrying is lifted and there is just happiness. It is official, you are someone's wife and that is amazing.

To my husband:

We may not be those people who said "I do" five years ago, but we are much better. We have grown and strengthened our relationship and I am so thankful for where we are and where we will go. Thank you for being the only person that will put up with me. Thank you for keeping me grounded but still letting me spread my wings. I love seeing who you have become and who you are becoming. Things I love about you:

  • You love your family and they are very important to you. Not just our little family but your extended family too.
  • You think things trough logically, something I can never do.
  • You love our son and our dogs.
  • You are a fun daddy.
  • We can sit in the same room doing different things and it is ok.
  • You will sit in the same room with me every once in awhile and do the same thing.
  • You come home with a mohawk or bleach blond hair sometimes.
  • You let me be me. Maybe not without some grumbling first, but you always let me.
  • You never give up on me and haven't fallen out of love with me yet.
  • You are fun and fun to be around.
  • You don't mind it when I'm hyper and crazy! (Or at least you tolerate it).
  • You are a gamer nerd who teaches our son to yell "Star Wars".
  • Hockey season!!
  • Sometimes I feel guilty that I am lucky enough to have you.
There is so much more and will be so much more for years to come. Thank you, for being my husband! I will close and ask you the burning question, "Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?"

No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground