Get It Together

Wednesday, March 14, 2012


Some nights I feel like I have it together.  Most nights, I feel like I am scrambling to get all the things I need to finished before bedtime.  Last night I gave myself the " there is no way you actually did all that stuff" mom award.  These nights do not happen often in this house so when they do I take note.

We got home a little early from the gym because Isla was over it.  She did not want to sit through my aerobics class anymore.  When we got home I fed her and then left her in the highchair while I started dinner. Well she was screaming and Cian was whining and screaming and I thought the night could not get any worse. Steve was also working late so there wasn't anyone to deflect the screams to.  I desperately needed to go to the grocery store but we had a few things in the kitchen. I looked on Kraft.com and found a recipe that I had all the ingredients for!  If you know me, this is amazing. I am not a good cook and I have to make a list at the grocery store with meals for the next two weeks or I am completely lost.

I started cooking but I still had two screaming kids that were not letting me get too far.  I strapped Isla to my chest with the moby wrap and that calmed her down.  One down.  Now I had to figure out a way to keep that sweet little devil angel occupied while I got dinner ready.  Let me tell you, I could not cook fast enough. Cian screamed for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the entire time I fed Isla and while I was prepping for cooking.  I told him we were having chicken as the chicken was defrosting and every time the microwave would go off he would scream that it was ready and go into hysterics again.  We have an alphabet toy on the fridge that sings and says the sounds of each letter, so I started asking Cian to find letters for me and then put them in the toy to make sure it was the right one.  He LOVED this game.  He played it the entire time I cooked.  Educational and it kept him occupied. Score!

I finished our dinner, chicken and brown rice with stewed tomatoes topped with fresh tomatoes and cilantro, and made a plate for Cian.  He is probably one of the pickiest kids known to man so I really didn't expect him to eat any of it. Well he loooved the rice with the stewed tomatoes.  Score again!  He did spit out the chicken and pretend he was gagging but you can't win them all.

I got him fed and in the bathtub by the time Steve got home.  Never mind that it was almost 9:00 and I still hadn't finished my dinner, the war was won.  Isla stayed glued to me the entire night, yeah she is one spoiled baby.

Yesterday's mom is the mom I strive to be every night.  The mom that can whip up dinner while playing/teaching a three year old and snuggling an infant.  I am not always that mom, nor do I think it is possible to always be that mom, but at least I know she is there, even if she only comes out once in a blue moon.

Sweet Babes


No comments:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground