2011: Year End Review

Sunday, January 8, 2012

I know I say this every year but I can not believe another year has passed.  It seems they pass so quickly.  2011 was a very busy year for me with a lot of big things happening.  This weekend last year (actually at this exact time) I was running my first full marathon.  Little did I know that it would also be the first day of my gestation period with my baby girl because I would get pregnant two weeks later!  Well, here is my review:

As I said, in January I ran a marathon.  This took  a lot of commitment and perseverance (some of the things I am teaching in Sunday school today).  There were times, like around mile 20-23, when I wanted to quit.  It truly was adrenaline and Jesus that got me to that finish line.  This is the story of my life.  I always picture a scene kind of like what is below for the end of my life.  I am tired from running uphill for years and I see a man standing at the top with his arms outstretched.  I don't think I can make it anymore but I get that last burst of energy and push it up the hill because I know who is waiting for me.  I know who is waiting to take me home.
The finish line.  Read about it here
The same week I ran the marathon we started potty training.  This took a lot longer than I thought but a year later we have a fully (day) trained little boy.

This also proved to be a test of perseverance.  Here is the brutal beginning.
In this same month we had our first trip to the ER.  I really didn't stay as calm as I thought I would on this trip.  I thought I would be the calm mom who just scooped her crying kid up and took care of everything.  Instead I freaked out, picked him up and ran to get in the car without my purse or insurance card.  Thank the Lord for Steve who came out with all those things and drove us to the hospital. (Did I mention I jumped in the backseat of the car and almost passed out when we got to the hospital??  Wimp.)

My little stitched guy.  
This year we saw a toddler grow into a preschooler.  We also fought a lot of battles, both play and struggles of who is stronger willed.  I try to make sure it is me every time. 

You can look at some of those battles here:  Ask me if you want to hear the story about me accidentally kneeing my kid in the face while punishing him.
In February the Star Wars Lego obsession began and lasted past the second star on the right and straight on till morning.  We still love to play with "little toys".


We did a lot of playing in the snow, mud and house and actually made or first cave in March. 

I made a lot of diaper cakes and crafts this year.  I won't boast that I am Martha because I totally lack in the cooking and baking department but I sure can craft.


We found out in February but announced in April that we were expecting another baby!  Over the course of  the next 9ish months I would go from this:

Me at 13 weeks
 To this:
Me at 39 weeks
Yes, It was worth all the swelling.  We Found out in May that the little baby growing in my belly was a girl!

Cian wanted to wear the onesie. He was disappointed when we said he coudln't
In April or maybe May I decorated for the first party I got paid for and it was the party of the day on Catch My Party.  We had a great Easter and Mother's Day. Who doesn't love Mother's Day?  I mean it is one day a year that you get to make it all about you.  Kind of like your wedding day but thousands of dollars cheaper.

I was very proud of my chocolate covered peeps.  So proud I ate almost all of them.

We celebrated Father's Day with, you guessed it, more Star Wars Legos and we picked out a name for our baby girl, Isla.



In June Jessie and I applied for our business licence and Modern Vintage Events was officially created. We "launched" at a bridal show in September. (Nope, haven't blogged this one yet but Modern Vintage Events is my event planning business. I will have a full post on it one day soon.)

Photo by Chris and Adrienne Scott

Our booth at our first bridal show
In July I was getting bigger and so was Cian.  He got his big new twin bed. We are still trying to convince him it is cooler than our bed.  You're convince right?


In August I got to go to Hallmark's Moments Between the Milestone's tour in Nashville.  It was pretty awesome and I was very excited.  You can watch a video of me telling a story about peeing my pants here.


In September I turned 30.  It really is better than 20, I promise.  I also wrecked my mustang again.  I think I am getting an award for best driver 2011.

Birthday Dinner
In October I wrote something for Magazine and was published for it!  This has been my dream for a long time so I was very very excited.


October also brought us our sweet baby Girl, Isla Katherine.  She is definitely the best thing that we produced this year.  She has made our family more complete and I am so glad God chose us to be her parents.


 November was Thanksgiving and we had a lot to be thankful for this year.  I also was getting a crash course in being home with two kids.  I am still not getting the mother of the year award but I am getting better.


I also decorated for a pirate party that was donated for a Power of Pink Auction.  I loved doing all the decor, pirates are fun and Cian loved the "help". 


December, ah the last month of 2011.  December brought about a much more somber close of the year with two deaths and funerals. Though it was sad, those two people that we loved (well three because Steve's aunt Cheri lost her husband in November) are hanging out with Jesus now.  When Cian asked about where baby Logan was I told him he was with Jesus and he said, "and Mamaw"  Yep, they are all together enjoying pure love.  We also got to celebrate the gift of Jesus for Christmas and be thankful for the year and lives that were given to us.


There was a lot of stuff in between and like any year there was happiness, sadness, silliness, love and pain.  I am enjoying this season in my life with two young kids at home and a pretty awesome husband.  I hope you all had a great year and are ready for what this one brings!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

My how time flies! Look how young Cian looks in the first photo compared to the last!! Aww, our little kiddos are growing up.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground